Tuesday, August 27, 2013



What I have been doing.



Every day from 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. I go to "Seamstress" and work on costumes and uniforms for PCC workers and Missionaries.  This yellow blouse was nicknamed "The Beast" by another seamstress because of the ruffles, there are even ruffles on the ruffles.  This was the second thing I made.  I didn't take a picture of the blue blouse and black skirt that I made first.


This is my first Aloha Shirt.  I am working on my third one now.  These are new shirts for the night show.   I thought I knew how to sew until I got here and realized how much I didn't know.  I have had to learn how to do buttonholes, sew on buttons with the machine, serge seams, use the ruffling attachment, and the tiny rolled hem presser foot.  I have had to learn several little things about threading the machines, putting in a new needle (completely round, there is no flat side to help you know which side is the front) and threading the bobbin,  things that I didn't know even after all the sewing I  have done.  I am interested to see if they apply to my machine at home or if they are tips just for these industrial machines.  

Every afternoon I go to work at "Theater."  This is an example of something we do at "Theater."  After I get all the repairs done in costumes from the night show or the Canoe Dancing then I get to do things like this.  I have taken out quite a few zippers and replaced them or moved them as I make a costume smaller to fit another girl.  Between repairs, alterations and goofs, I have un picked way too many seams.  I feel like my seam ripper is my new best friend, which is not a good thing for a seamstress to say.

2 comments:

  1. There have been many times where my seam ripper has been my friend! hahaha I love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Beast! That does look like a beast. :) I'm so impressed you are learning so many things--you were a great seamstress before. You're sewing shell flowers now! AND the beast. You are awesome, Mom.

    ReplyDelete