Sunday, October 13, 2013

I thought I knew What a Palm Tree Looked Like

Who Knew There Are So Many Kinds of Palm Trees?

October 13, 2013



This reminds me of the Palm Trees I remember from growing up in North Hollywood, California.  Not the prettiest of Palm trees.


This is what I thought Palm Trees in Hawaii looked like.  Notice the coconuts.


Some have bushy round branches with leaves poking out all around.




Some are short with huge flat branches.

Some have very tall skinny trunks.

Some have huge leaves that spread out like a huge fan.


Below is a close up of the interesting part in the middle.


Some have big leaves that look like individual fans.


Some look more like a bush than a tree.

Some have this interesting green shape at the top of the trunk and have fewer branches.


Tall, mostly straight or crooked trunks.



Ones full of coconuts.


More large fan shapes.





This one has something else, not coconuts, growing on it.  See the close up below.




Some grow to the side.





Some have short almost pineapple shaped trunks.  I walk by these every day, this is the first time I saw green leaves growing out of the trunk.  Usually the whole trunk looks like the top part, just woody stumps where dead branches were cut off.


Notice the "Christmas Tree" shaped trees, I should get a close up of one of those, they are really interesting, but they don't look like Palm Trees.  So that will be in another post.


There are Palm Trees of every shape everywhere you look.  
This picture was taken from our front  driveway.   The ocean is right behind those houses.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, there are a lot of different kinds. How interesting. The trees here are turning beautiful fall colors. You're Autumn Blaze Maple is particularly beautiful right now. I'll have to email you a picture of it. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy! There sure are a lot of palm trees. And how cool that there are coconuts (I run the risk of appearing like a total airhead by saying that, but it's not something I see everyday!). Great post, Mom :)

    ReplyDelete