Tuesday, September 10, 2013


13th Annual Te Manahua

Maori Competition

August 30, 2013


This competition was a fun event to attend.  They had beautiful costumes, great dancing and singing.

The men do what is called a Haka, it is a war like dance with angry movements, shouts and faces.

Poi-e balls are always fun to watch, not as easy to do as they make it look.


This man has make-up to look like tattoos, real Maori leaders have Tattoos carved into their faces, not done like tattoos are usually done now.


This group was from Canada.  Notice the red maple leaf worked into their costumes.  The women that have black tattoos on their chins in real Maori life, (if I remember correctly) are respected women who have earned the right to speak in tribal meetings.

I love the faces that the men make, I couldn't capture a good one with their tongues out.

This was one of my favorite parts, the older people are some of the original dancers from 1963.  They are here for the 50th Anniversary of the Polynesian Cultural Center Celebration week.  The little old lady in full costume was so cute.  After they performed and were walking off stage, she came back for an extra bow and received a standing ovation.  The oldest male alumni attending was 95 and the oldest woman was 93.

More poi-e ball competitors.

I never saw someone swing 2 sets of poi-e balls while sitting before.

More Haka competitors.

This was an unusual one.  Check our the various costumes from army camo pants and a rifle, traditional costume and spear, cowboy hat and shovel, rugby player (?) with a flag, and another traditional costume with a stick.  They did the Haka dance/shout too.


These competitors had unusual costumes too.




 Here are the older people performing their number.  They looked like they were having so much fun performing again.
 More Haka competitors.
This was a graceful dance using poi-e balls.  

They look angry and ready for battle.

I am glad that I was able to see this Maori competition.  It was a fun preparation day activity.  I was sorry that I missed the Samoa fire-knife competition held before I got here.  Maybe I can see it next year before I go home.



2 comments:

  1. What a fun competition! They really have an interesting culture. I wonder if Jerry Fredericksen was there? I think he was planning on coming for the 50th celebration. I'm glad you are there for all these extra celebrations for the anniversary! It sure looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two sets of poi-e balls while sitting--that IS impressive. You took some great pictures! I'm glad the 50th anniversary celebrations were fun!

    ReplyDelete