Friday, September 5, 2014

My "Graduation" Party





My "Graduation" Party

July 23, 2014

Sister Andersen reminded me that I forgot to include pictures of my Graduation Party.  When missionaries finish their missions at the Polynesian Cultural Center, the wonderful people that they worked with throw a "Graduation" Party (Good-bye party) in their honor.  Because I worked for both the Seamstress and the Theater Wardrobe Departments they threw a joint party for me backstage.

Several of the women from my community Hula Halau surprised me and danced with me.  I have a red dress like they have, but I didn't even imagine that they would come.









This is the beautiful quilt that the Seamstress department gave me.  Fatai is standing beside me and Elizza is on the other side of the quilt.  Fatai made the beautiful pink Plumeria lei I am wearing.

Fatai asked me to point out which materials I had made uniforms out of and which village or area of the PCC those uniforms were used.  I knew a lot of them and I recognized that I made a mistake on one that I pointed out, but Fatai just said I did well.
Many beautiful flowers like these were on the tables for decoration.

Cathy is saying lots of nice things about our fun times working in Theater Wardrobe together.
(I wish my camera took clearer pictures.) 
Cathy is giving me some beautiful Tahitian black pearl earrings and pendant as a gift from her and the Theater Wardrobe Department.
Sister Ellen Johnson always brightened our time in Seamstress.
Sister Flores was one of my "little roommates"  I was taller than all my roommates for a long time.  I would gather them in a group hug after family prayer and call them my "little chicks."
Sister Phyllis Andersen was so helpful to everyone she met and I really enjoyed working with her in Seamstress.
Jessica is a student from China who worked in Seamstress with me and she was in the married student ward that I attended.
Vity worked at the sewing machine right next to mine.  She is a student from China and we nicknamed her "Itty bitty Vity."

Fatai runs the Seamstress Department, does most of the cutting of projects for all of us and makes the Seamstress Department a fun place to work. 
A close up of my beautiful quilt.

With my friend Elizza who helped me so much in Seamstress.  Elizza also did some cutting and her happy helpful nature always lifted and cheered all who worked there.




A close up of the beautiful lei that Fatai made for me.  It smelled wonderful.



A close up of some of the gifts I was given.


Fresh flower leis I was given.



This cute hand towel was made by Phyllis Andersen.  It was signed by many of the people I worked with
and danced with at my graduation party.


A special Thank you to everyone who made my mission so enjoyable.  When I am asked what I miss most
about Hawaii, I always say, "All the people."

2 comments:

  1. What a mission well served, and what a fun party! Beautiful pink lei. Beautiful quilt. I loved seeing these pictures (and I love having you back home). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved seeing your sweet smiling face again. It was so good to share the day of your party to thank you for your service. We surely do miss you. Love Phyllis Andersen

    ReplyDelete